As bombardment intensifies in Ukraine’s Luhansk, more evacuations are required, according to the governor.
Additional people need to be evacuated from the Luhansk region in eastern Ukraine, according to Luhansk Governor Serhiy Gaidai, as shelling has risen in recent days and more Russian military have arrived.
According to him, over 30% of residents in cities and villages across the region had been instructed to evacuate.
“They (Russia) are amassing forces for an offensive,” Gaidai said on state television. “We observe the number of shelling has grown.”
After withdrawing its soldiers from areas to the north of the capital, Kyiv, Ukraine has been warning that Russia is planning increased attacks in the country’s east and south.
The US announced this week that Moscow is likely to send tens of thousands of troops to eastern Ukraine.
Iryna Vereshchuk, Ukraine’s Deputy Prime Minister, announced that ten humanitarian corridors had been agreed upon for the evacuation of people across the nation, including private transport from the besieged port of Mariupol in the south.
Since the beginning of the war on February 24, Mariupol, with its vital location on the shore of the Sea of Azov, has been hammered by Russian strikes.
Attempts to reach an agreement on safe passage for buses carrying supplies to Mariupol and civilians out of the city have failed, with each side blaming the other.
According to the Russian RIA news agency, the Russian defense ministry announced on Saturday that it transported more than 80 civilians from Mariupol’s left bank region on Friday.
“All people were taken to safe places,” the ministry said, according to RIA. “Russian servicemen gave expert medical assistance to residents who had been shelled.”
Reuters was unable to confirm this at the time.
Moscow has denied that people are being targeted as part of a “special military operation” to demilitarize and “denazify” its neighbor. This is a bogus justification for war, according to Ukraine and its Western supporters.