The behavior of fans near the stadium before Saturday’s Champions League final, when French police shot tear gas on Liverpool fans, was denounced by British lawmakers and fans on Sunday.

“It is alarming to see that people either didn’t get into the stadium or were… dealt with a pretty forceful approach,” Northern Ireland Secretary Brandon Lewis told Sky News on Sunday.

Secretary for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Nadine Dorries, who controls the industry, had earlier tweeted about “troubling reports” from the stadium.
“I’ve just had one of the worst experiences of my life,” Ian Byrne, a Liverpool MP from the opposition Labour Party, tweeted. Security and organization are abysmal, placing lives in jeopardy.”

Merseyside Police claimed in a statement that there were “distressing situations” at the match where their officers were stationed.
“The vast majority of fans behaved in an outstanding manner,” the force claimed.

Despite their defeat in Paris, Liverpool players were due to take part in an open-top bus procession through the city on Sunday afternoon. The city would be “very bustling,” according to police.

“I know many have had a terrible night,” Liverpool Mayor Joanne Anderson tweeted, adding that she supported the club’s “demand for an explanation into what happened before start.”

“Last night was utterly shambolic & incredibly hazardous – we are gathering information from fans & @FansEurope and will be issuing a statement later,” the Liverpool supporters’ group Spirit of Shankly stated on Twitter.


In a YouTube video, one fan, Paul Machin, said what he saw in Paris was “beyond anything I’ve ever seen at a football tournament before,” blasting “completely and utterly despicable behavior by the French police,” who he called “an absolute shame.”

Another supporter, Andrew Whittle, told Sky News that “everyone was simply poured into one location” and that the crowding “was a real Hillsborough sort of scenario,” referring to the 1989 Liverpool stadium disaster.

After the match, “organized gangs set about mugging exiting spectators” with “no police officer in sight,” according to former Liverpool defender Jim Beglin.
“The way they (fans) were treated by authorities was an absolute joke,” remarked another former Liverpool player, Kenny Dalglish, on Twitter. “Going to a football game should never be a source of fear.”

The 35-minute delay in the final between Liverpool and Real Madrid was blamed on “fake tickets that did not work in the turnstiles,” according to UEFA.
According to UEFA, tear gas was used by French police to disperse thousands of angry supporters who had gathered outside the Stade de France as a result of the fraudulent ticket issue.
Liverpool, on the other hand, expressed “deep disappointment” that their fans were subjected to an “unacceptable” breach of the security cordon at France’s national stadium.

UEFA stated it was “sympathetic” to the fans who had been harmed and that it will investigate the incident with local police and authorities, as well as the French Football Federation.

“Thousands of British’supporters’ either without tickets or with fraudulent ones forced their way in and sometimes behaved violently toward the stewards,” French Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin tweeted, pointing the finger at the Liverpool fans.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here