For the fourth day in a row on Sunday, witnesses said hundreds of Sudanese protestors seeking an end to military rule went to the streets of the nation’s capital Khartoum and its environs.
According to doctors, security forces’ harsh response on Thursday’s large demonstrations resulted in the death of nine individuals, making it the protests’ longest-running day of bloodshed since last October’s army chief Abdel Fattah Al-coup. Burhan’s
According to medical professionals and the United Nations, security personnel have used live ammunition, barrages of tear gas canisters, and the deployment of powerful water cannons during recent rallies. Crowds have also blocked highways with bricks and burned tires.
Demonstrators are calling for the reinstatement of the civilian transition to power that was started with the overthrow of longstanding tyrant Omar Al-Bashir in 2019 but was halted by the coup.
Demonstrator Muayyad Mohamed told AFP in central Khartoum, “We will maintain our sit-in until the coup is overthrown, and we have a genuinely civilian administration.”
Since the coup last year, 114 people have died in protest-related violence. According to pro-democracy doctors, the most recent death occurred on Saturday when a protester passed away from wounds received during a rally on June 16.
Another demonstrator, Soha, 25, who only went by her first name, declared, “We will not compromise until the ideals of our revolution are accomplished.
We are here in the street calling for the establishment of a civil state, freedom, justice, and the return of the military to its barracks.
The coup of last year hastened Sudan’s political and economic unrest, driving up consumer prices and causing life-threatening food shortages.
Witnesses claimed to have seen a large number of security personnel on the streets of Khartoum on Sunday, including army vehicles and those of the Rapid Support Forces (RSF), a dreaded paramilitary group led by Mohamed Hamdan Daglo, Burhan’s deputy.
The Janjaweed militia, which human rights organizations alleged committed crimes during the conflict that broke out in 2003 in the western area of Darfur, was included in the RSF.
The RSF has been charged with participating in crackdowns on demonstrators opposing military government in more recent times.
The recent killing has been denounced by the world community, and the UN rights chief has called for an independent investigation into the violence on Thursday.
A conversation between the generals and civilians has been attempted by the UN, African Union, and regional group IGAD, but the major civilian factions have boycotted.
The use of disproportionate force by security forces and the absence of accountability for such actions, despite repeated promises by authorities, were both denounced by the three groups on Friday.
On Sunday, Yasser Arman of Sudan’s major civilian coalition, the Forces for Freedom and Change, once more voiced his disapproval of resuming talks with the military and its allies.
He stated during a press conference that “It was not us who broke off the political process; the gunshots that have killed demonstrators have killed the political process.”
General Daglo, also known as Hemeti, urged “all political factions, especially the youth,” to sit down and negotiate in the unrest-ridden Darfur region, where violence has just returned.
At a ceremony where 2,000 ex-rebels finished their training to join the Sudanese security forces, he declared that dialogue was the only way to ensure stability in his nation.
A 2020 peace agreement with rebel groups involved in decades-long civil strife, especially in Darfur, included the integration of former combatants into the Sudanese army and police.
The cohort, the first of its type, “will address the instability in Darfur,” according to Daglo.
Darfur has experienced a recent rise in violence that has resulted in hundreds of deaths, primarily due to disagreements over land, livestock, and access to water and pasture.