Hossein Amir-Abdollahian, Iran’s foreign minister, warned on Sunday that Washington was “imposing new conditions” in the talks to salvage the 2015 nuclear deal.

“They (the Americans) are interested in proposing and imposing new requirements outside of the negotiations on the question of easing sanctions,” the minister added.

“The American side has made excessive demands in the last two or three weeks that contradict some passages of the contract,” he added.

Iran has been in direct and indirect talks in Vienna for the past year with France, Germany, the United Kingdom, Russia, and China, as well as the United States, to resurrect the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.

“The Americans keep talking about the need for direct negotiations,” Amir-Abdollahian added, “but we haven’t seen the value of direct talks with the US.”

“We seek the relaxation of sanctions, but in a dignified and long-term manner,” the foreign minister stated, adding that “Iran has maintained and will maintain its red lines.”

President Ebrahim Raisi has previously stated that Tehran will not relinquish its right to develop its nuclear industry for peaceful purposes, and that all countries involved in talks to resurrect the 2015 nuclear agreement should respect this.

“Our message from Tehran to Vienna is that we will not back down from the Iranian people’s nuclear rights… not even an iota,” Raisi said in a speech commemorating Iran’s Nuclear Technology Day on Saturday.

According to Reuters, the US is considering removing Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps from its list of foreign terrorist groups in exchange for Iranian guarantees about reining in the elite force.

According to Washington Post columnist David Ignatius, who specializes in intelligence issues, a senior administration official stated President Joe Biden did not intend to remove the group from the terrorism category.

Iranian state media said that Iranian lawmakers have established criteria for the 2015 pact’s renewal, including legal assurances from the US Congress that Washington would not abandon it.

“The United States should give formal guarantees, ratified by its… Congress, that it will not abandon the treaty again,” said a statement signed by 250 MPs out of a total of 290, according to the semi-official Tasnim news agency.

The letter also stated that if the accord is resurrected, the US should not be able to “use pretexts to trigger the snapback mechanism,” which would reimpose sanctions on Iran immediately.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here