The Sudanese deal to reinstate the prime minister following the overthrow of the military is not enough but has saved the country from getting involved in civil strife, a UN envoy to Sudan said on Friday.

Volker Perthes was referring to an agreement between Sudanese military leaders and Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok, who was ousted and arrested after a coup last month that sparked international outcry.

The military coup has threatened to disrupt the country’s democratic transformation program since the ouster of former dictator Omar Bashir.

The agreement, signed on Sunday, was seen as the largest agreement reached by the country’s military leader, Gen. Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, since the coup.
However, pro-democracy groups dismissed it as illegal and accused Hamdok of allowing himself to act as a fig leaf to continue military rule.

“The agreement is incomplete,” Perthes said.
“But it is better than no agreement and continue on the path where the soldiers will eventually become one ruler.”

Both signatories felt compelled to make “painful agreements” in order to protect the country from the threat of further violence, unrest and alienation, he added.
“It would not be possible to exclude a situation that would bring Sudan closer to what we have seen in Yemen, Libya or Syria,” Perthes said. He spoke to the AP about a videoconference from Khartoum.
Sudan has been struggling to change democratically since Bashir was ousted in 2019, following a massive uprising in the three decades of his rule.

The agreement signed by Hamdok and the military represents an independent professional cabinet led by the prime minister until a new election is held.

The government will continue to be under military control, although Hamdok says he will have the power to appoint ministers.

The agreement also stipulates that all political prisoners arrested following the October 25 coup will be released. So far, a few ministers and politicians have been released. The number of those arrested has not yet been determined.

“We have a situation now where we have at least one important step in the constitutional reform,” Perthes said.
Since the takeover, protesters have repeatedly taken to the streets in protests over the years.

Sudanese troops have attacked the rallies and killed more than 40 protesters so far, according to activist groups.
Further steps need to be taken to prove the agreement, Perthes said, including the release of all detainees, a halt to the use of violence against protesters and Hamdok’s full freedom of choice for members of his Cabinet.

On Thursday, thousands gathered in Khartoum and several Sudanese provinces to demand a temporary government and to oppose the agreement.
Activists have been circulating videos on social media showing the explosion of tear gas in protesters.

However, Sudanese police said protesters pelted Molotov’s cocktails with stones at two police stations in the capital Khartoum, and the twin town of Omdurman, injuring more than 30 police officers. In a statement issued late Thursday, authorities said they had arrested 15 people.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here