According to an AFP correspondent, the trial of four individuals accused of fatally stabbing a senior police officer during anti-coup rallies in Sudan began on Sunday in Khartoum.

According to the correspondent, the judge ordered an investigation into allegations that the four were tortured in jail and adjourned the hearing until June 12.


According to authorities, Gen. Bareema was assassinated in January, one of two police officers killed during months of unrest following army head Gen. Abdel Fattah Al-October Burhan’s 25 coup.


Medics estimate that around 100 people have been murdered in anti-coup protests as a result of the repression.

In January, four demonstrators — Mohammed “Tupac” Adam, Mohammed Al-Fattah, Mossaab Al-Sherif, and Ahmed Al-Nanna — were arrested and accused with Bareema’s murder. They have remained in detention since.


Their lawyers said they went on a week-long hunger strike in Khartoum’s Kober Prison in March to protest “inhumane treatment,” “police brutality,” and a lack of due process.


Hundreds of people gathered in front of the courthouse to urge the prisoners’ release, who waved peace signs as they were led inside by security personnel.

A rival rally was organized by dozens of people, including the police officer’s family, to seek justice.


After the resignation of former President Omar Bashir in 2019, a power-sharing pact between the army and protest leaders started in motion a precarious transition to civilian government.


Hundreds of activists have been jailed and at least 98 people have been killed in a crackdown since Gen. Burhan’s power grab, according to pro-democracy doctors.

According to the medics, security personnel have shot and killed many of them. Some security force members “misused” their guns during demonstrations, according to Gen. Burhan, but no personnel trials have been officially publicized.


A local pro-democracy “resistance” committee said the case amounted to “targeting revolutionaries with misleading reports to get rid of them” and “an assault on the revolution and its values” ahead of the four accused protestors’ trial.


Thousands of people flocked to the streets of Khartoum again on Saturday, where two protestors were slain.


The police blamed the deaths on demonstrators’ “violent and unwarranted animosity,” according to a statement.


The additional killings “appalled” UN Special Representative Volker Perthes, who tweeted Sunday that “it is time for the bloodshed to stop” and urged Sudan’s government to lift a continuing state of emergency.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here